22 September 2022
Launch of New Landscapes: FTT Catalyst R&D Grant Scheme Final Report
The UAL Fashion, Textiles and Technology Institute (FTTI, UAL) and the British Council launched their final New Landscapes: Catalyst R&D Grant Scheme report today. The thirty pages report highlights the key findings, recommendations, and case studies of five SME projects funded through the scheme.
The bespoke pilot programme was launched in October last year as a collaboration between UAL FTTI, British Council and five UK and Official Development Assistance (ODA) countries SMEs to promote the cultural, social and environmental values of a sustainable global fashion and textiles sector.
The collaboration included in-kind support by the UAL FTTI Academic Mentors, an R&D Fellow, networking opportunities with the BFTT SME R&D Programme awardees, events on current trends in sustainability, strategic business development guidance, and financial supervision by the British Council. The five funded projects include;
- Bureau 555 – virtual fabric and garment sampling in Bangladesh
- Circular Livelihoods – creating a circular yarn from regenerative cotton and textile waste in Indonesia
- Denim to Denim – supporting circular denim practices in Nigeria
- Plan B – exploring circular garment fastenings and accessories in Bangladesh
- The Sisal Project – producing a sustainable weavable textile from sisal fibre in Kenya
You can read the full report here.