28 February 2020
Insights from Creative Industries Champions
The Policy and Evidence Centre (PEC), led by nesta as part of the Creative Industries Clusters Programme, has just published a report on how policymakers can support local growth in creative industries.
The report addressed the following questions.
- What does success in the creative industries look like in your geographical area?
- Which local interventions have been successful in unlocking this growth and which have not?
- What additional local interventions are needed?
Some of the key issues raised by the report are:
- Local variations in support
- Lack of signposting and business support
- Access to funding is laborious and slow
- Space to work at central location is minimal
The panel of Industry Champions also made a list of recommendations, which are explored more in detailed in the report.
- More work needs to be done on signposting to creative businesses the support that is locally available to them
- Local councils and LEPs (in England) should simplify their application procedures
- Local governments should review their procurement practices to remove impediments for small creative businesses
- Local (and central) government should consider where local infrastructure restrictions are likely to be harming business growth, not just infrastructures in travelling to London
You can see report here.